PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 17:24
Beagle9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mohitomaster

Please, in all seriousness, what do you think another strike is likely to acheive? Do you really think that Keith Williams is going to reverse everything WW has done over the last 2 years, including getting rid of Mixed Fleet? He'd be lynched by the board, ridiculed by other sections of the airline and would send the share price plummeting.

The Chairman brought in WW to do a specific job - modernise the airline, so that it survives the next few years of intense competition and external challenges to the airline industry as a whole. He's approved KW for the same reasons. KW may be a different singer, but he's crooning from the same song sheet. He and the board KNOW that this battle against irresponsible union power HAS to be won, even if it puts the airline in difficulties short term.

I ask you, in all seriousness, what's the bigger imminent threat to your current terms and conditions, vague tales of a possible treat from the Redeployment Agreement in 5 years time, or a management desperate to kill off another damaging strike, yet knowing that backing down is not an option?

NOBODY knows what the airline world will look like in five years time. We may ALL be out of a job. It's impossible to plan that far ahead and no airline, no business, is going to hamper it's chances of survival by giving the cast iron guarantees BASSA is misleading you into thinking it should and can give.

As has been said so many times before, the world has moved on and unfortunately BASSA and the likes of Bob Crowe and all the other old style union leaders, just can't get their head round that. They are fighting the unwinnable fight. You may think it's worth bringing down the airline over, but I don't, thank you.

The scare stories from BASSA/Amicus of what BA intends to do in the future, are nothing more than pure speculation at this stage. They may turn out to be true, who knows, but I wouldn't "go down fighting" on the basis of it, if I were you, because BASSA's record of accuracy on these threats of our demise are astonishingly poor, as someone above recently pointed out.