PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGTK Radar?
Thread: EGTK Radar?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 15:22
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
qsyenroute:

I think "over and out" has just summed up why any suggestion of giving a radar service contract to NATS would not be in the best interests of EGTK
I think you are reading wrongly into what 'over and out' has written. NATS TMA North and South controllers are too busy with their primary task to provide the service he talks about, and in fact are not allowed to below FL70. However that does not mean that, if contracted, NATS could not provide the service using other controllers (with the service being the primary task).

There is, I have been told by one LF controller (so second hand knowledge, not sure of the veracity), spare consoles available at Farnborough, if NATS were willing to pay people to provide a service, and subject to suitable radar feeds.

However as LF struggle, due to lack of manpower, to fully man LARS the chances of NATS doing that are low. (Bearing in mind LF LARS was opened with much ceremony and back slapping and talk of major safety benefits were trumpeted, yet now the manpower isn't provided... typical headline grabbing, move on to next bit of glory IMHO).

NikNak

Lets get some facts straight shall we?

The owners of Oxford cannot justify the costs of an approach radar service by installing their own radar, based upon present commercial income at the airport
Yes, let get some facts straight. Oxford openly admit they want to increase their movements by an astronomical amount over the next 2 or 3 years. This should not be allowed until it is proven that there is a solution to the problem. Oxford joiners and leavers are a big safety risk at the moment, the numbers should not be allowed to increase until things are put in place to alleviate this.

Oxford needs to spend the money up-front in order to get the movements it requires. To do it the other way round would be reckless and I can tell you now that no LTMA controller is in favour of it. Not because it makes life harder for us, but because that area is a known hazard as it stands with the movements already there.

The CAA needs to take a long hard look at the policy of allowing airfields outside CAS to operate commercial passenger flights, particularly if those airports are near busy airspace...