PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 23rd Dec 2010, 11:44
GS-Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Union busting is big business, and I think BA's cabin crew will be used as an example of how to bust a union for many years to come.
This is almost correct. I believe this dispute will indeed be a turning point and will be used as an example for years to come, but it will be to demonstrate that the 'old style' unions are no longer fit for purpose in the modern world. Saying "no" to a company just because you think you have the power to, without thinking about the commercial reasons for the request and without sensible business-like discussion is no longer acceptable.

BA are going to win this dispute, it is as simple as that. For a long time now, the cabin crew and the union have been pushing the wild animal (BA) back into a corner. The company has been fighting back without too much aggression, hoping the union and cabin crew will grow tired and leave it alone, but the union are not giving up, and it has gradually backed BA into the corner. Eventually, the company will be properly cornered with nowhere to go. It will either fight as aggressively as it can for its survival, or it will be destroyed. My money is on it being fierce enough to win by a country mile. My worry is just what destruction it will leave in its path. Many cabin crew are going to get really hurt when the animal is eventually cornered with nowhere to go.

Similarly, once the animal has the taste for human flesh, it will come after more (ie other workgroups). I believe BASSA have truly ruined it for us all - not just themselves, and this will be the real learning point for which this dispute will be used as an example for years to come.