PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA's pay offer!
Thread: BA's pay offer!
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2002, 07:24
dogsnutz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

The attitude of some on here of "the world owes me a living because I am a pilot" is sickening. The state of the industry around the world has gone to c*@p and instead of demanding massive payrises you lot should be gratefull you have jobs in the first place.

Just to remind you what its like in some other airlines which are better run than BA then look at this from the c.e.o of American Transair.

Open Letter from George Mikelsons
State of the Company
August 23, 2002

My Dear Fellow Employees,
Over the last two weeks, I have attempted to be open and up front with you by honestly assessing the state of the airline industry and ATA's situation in particular. As we move forward, I intend to continue to inform you of our decisions and the steps we must take to ensure our viability and long-term competitiveness. Some of the decisions we make will be painful and unpopular. However, I can assure you that they have been well thought out and are vital to our survival.

You need to be aware of the following decisions:
• This week we announced the removal of our L-1011s from scheduled service. These planes have served us well but the demands of scheduled service require the efficiency of our 757 and 737 aircraft. For now the L-10s will be held for our military business only.

• As part of our review of budgeted expenses, we have determined that it is essential to reduce our employee count. Even though the final numbers have not yet been determined, we anticipate eliminating about eight percent of our budgeted payroll. I emphasize budgeted headcount because the first place we are looking at is open positions. While we think we can save a lot by not filling openings, we know it will not be enough. We will have to furlough some employees, which will be very painful. Each division is currently working out its plan so this difficult process will begin and end very soon.

• We must extend the wage freeze beyond the expected end date of September 30. I understand the burden this places on all of you, but frankly, we just don't have a choice. I'm not saying it will last another year and I hope it will not. Our top priority, however, has to be saving the jobs of 7,000 people and our company, not just their raises.

• We are eliminating all non-essential cash expenditures. For example, we will not spend money even on a Christmas party this year. I hate doing this because, like you, I really look forward to the Indy base party.
There are a lot of other ideas that we are examining and thinking through. Some of the savings will be big, some small. We need every nickel. I can't promise you that this will be easy. In fact, it will be very difficult. I can promise you that I will let you know when decisions are made and what their impact will be on all of us. Everything is on the table and all suggestions are welcome.

George