PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improving the industry
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2010, 20:02
170to5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very true INNflight...I think every wannabe would do well to spend a month trailing a crew - would give them a bloody good idea of exactly what they were getting themselves into!

And v6g, you could allow unlimited PPL issue, but perhaps only allow a certain number of pilots to then go and get a CPL qualification? as many sub-paraghraphs could be written as you want to get the result you want!

As for your longer post - I assume then that you aren't a pilot (if you are I think I've flown with you!)- I hope that your industry isn't affected by the 'we'll find someone cheaper' nightmare that flying has sustained - at least not to the level we have.

While I do agree with you when you say 'if you don't like it, do something else' - but it is worth it for the T&C's of a few years ago - which is why I got into flying. People since the recession have found that the offer isn't quite as tempting, but still, it pays an average of over 60 grand a year and this will always attract new joiners. It is our job to ensure that this slip in T&C's is not sustained.

I would disagree that people have to be 'too smart' to go into flying - it has come down a long way from the heyday, as it needed to, but salaries are still relatively good (for the UK at least), even taking into account the outlay for training, and it is an enjoyable and challenging job.

Put it this way: John Travolta and Bruce Dickinson didn't get rich and decide to live out their childhood fantasy of being insurace brokers or advertising execs.