PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Standbys
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2010, 15:32
stefair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry guys, just one more post taking this off-topic a bit.

studi, Where are those many jobs out there? Personally, I cannot see them. It's always just a handful, who get the break. Often times, many of whom already with experience and just jumping ship. Opportunities for people fresh out of the press are rare. And it stays that way even in good times. I see you are Germany based so I take it you are flying for LH? I know a few people affiliated with that outfit, too and I can confirm I have also come across that figure. However, we all know all too well selections conducted by a legacy are ever so much harder to pass and only a very few make it through. Fact is, a great many will not end up getting paid to fly at all, let alone making a profit out of their 50k plus investment. So I don't think it's fair to blame those people looking but unable to land themselves a proper flying job. Yes, I also believe there are a lot of 'whiners' out there but the truth is, the number of qualified folks exceeds by far the number of jobs. It is something wannabes must be (made) aware of!

Please also note, not everyone passes the RYR interview. I have heard of and spoken myself with several people that have been sent home. In fact, one of my best friends passed their interview and was one of eight, if I recall correctly, on the day of the interview. As far as he's concerned only he himself and one or two others have been given the go-ahead. RYR's interview procedure is highly selective. You must know your stuff to be taken onboard and it's not like you just hand over 30k to be offered the job. Another friend, OAA graduate, is telling me of former coursemates being sent home, who initially have been awarded for their performance while training. RYR just could not afford to employ flight crew, who they believe are not the right material.

Given themerve's figures I can say this:

I have been bonded for twelve months to an amount of 30k. My take-home is between 20-23k p.a. On top of that, my employer pays into a state pension scheme. So should I already walk after 12 months, which I do not intend for obvious reasons since I am extremley happy with my situation, I have earned around 50k in my first year. However, given only a payrise of net 2,700 a year, it would then be "only" 73k in two years. After another year, and another 2,700 net payrise, it is now nearly 100k take-home in 3 years. Hours flown varies from base to base but is said to be around 600-800.

On the other hand the RYR deal (I stand to be corrected, please!): Given 35k net take-home (after all has been paid for RYR do not bother paying for) and an annual 7k payrise in the second and third year (I cannot say if there is another, higher pay rise in the third year with the company), the average RYR FO is looking at around 125k in three years. However, he must have flown 750 hours to earn that figure and shall not get sick, etc. TR costs 26k after tax refund so net take-home also is around 100k in three years.

To be honest, after looking at the numbers now I am quite surprised myself, as I have never compared in detail my and the RYR deal. However, please note my contract also entails a performance-based element. I will have to fly a certain amount of hours to make end's meet. And I am not logging 738 time.

As said before, early this year I would have been thrilled to take the RYR deal but now I am so glad I have never had to bother. Job and financial security are priceless. That being said though, I feel with those looking. If, after having spent all that money and dragging yourself through that intense training, you just do not get a sniff at any flying job at all, you do start thinking...

Now back to topic!