PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryan Air and EZ Jet Looking!!
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2002, 22:22
Tinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I understand it, the Ryanair deal is that you pay £15,000 for your type conversion and line training as a package. While there is no guarantee of a job at the end of the line training, I've yet to hear of a rejection - perhaps someone can confirm that? The pay for the first year isn't great, but I'm not sure I agree with the seemingly-accepted principle that a 200-hour fATPL should be able to walk into a £40k pa job.

So-far then nobody seems to have been stitched up. Unlike some people felt in the early 90's. Nonethless I sympathise with Flypuppys sentiment of "oh my God, surely they don't expect another £15k from me to get a job".
I'm sure these comments are of little comfort to those wannabe pilots who have recently stretched themselves to the limit inorder to obtain their fATPL.

I've yet to hear of a rejection
or
So-far then nobody seems to have been stitched up.
is not going to convince a bank manager to extend a loan by another 15 grand.

I've never met a wannabe yet who expects to walk into a 40k a year job, most would accept a job that gives them a bit of twin time, if it was on a turbo prop or jet that would be a bonus but as far as wages go they would be happy with a salary that paid the bills.

In my previous 'life' I trained as a mechanical fitter turner then joined a company who added a speciality to my trade, the cost...not a bean! My wages were well below the guys I was working with, until qualified, but it was a mutually beneficial arrangement as, like many before me I would become an asset to the company.

Why should we subsidise a company to become a beneficial member of the work force? Answer, they have us by the nuts and are so unscrupulous they are willing to take the p155.

ps..
So-far then nobody seems to have been stitched up.
I could name one guy who was told by one of the above companys he would have a job if he got an appropriate type rating. He got himself a type rating and guess what, no job!

Last edited by Tinker; 27th Aug 2002 at 22:29.