PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 17th Dec 2010, 09:54
AV Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've heard continual mutterings regarding a Union strike ballot for so long now I can't remember when it was first mentioned. It was certainly way before the infamous 10/10/10/10/..... which is well over two months ago now.

With the recent speculative news that TW (and maybe DS) is (are) retiring early, am I the only one who has the feeling that BASSA is pushing an extremely reluctant Unite to call a strike ballot with Unite not having the guts to tell BASSA where to get off?

I have this feeling that Unite quite correctly think the whole matter to be suicidal both for BASSA and for themselves given both the overall lack of support and the potential liabilites they will incur should they be found responsible for calling an illegal, or at the very least an unprotected, strike action. Indeed, Unite may have already received a private warning shot across its bows to this effect from BA's lawyers.

As we have seen from the recent militant CC's comments, BASSA don't see it this way at all. On make-believe planet BASSA they know the "majority" of CC are prepared to go out on strike ("just like last time") and, with only a few more "sausages" to join them, WW will capitulate as he is under pressure to resolve this "personal" matter directly with "super-important" BASSA before he "leaves" BA.

I could see a Unite/BASSA split happening way before any strike action happens and, with the current state of affairs, maybe even before a strike ballot begins.

Under the present circumstances, and rather than telling BASSA where to get off, should Unite be trying to resolve matters by attempting to engage BA into yet further negotiated concessions to appease BASSA then BA would be a complete fool to fall for this. I cannot imagine Unite hearing anything other than a rebuff from BA swiftly followed by a suggestion that any further attempts to threaten strike action to damage the airline will result in the current extremely generous offer being withdrawn forthwith.

Last edited by AV Flyer; 17th Dec 2010 at 12:58.