PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Owning an Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2010, 11:28
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“But none of those types have much capability. They are OK for bimbling around on nice days, not going far. If you want to do more, you have various tradeoffs open to you, but it will cost you more.”

IO and I would obviously disagree on this on! In the UK we do have an artificial limitation on LAA machines limiting them to day VFR. In the US aircraft like the MCR-01 mentioned above (I have one) are flown IFR, but I have no idea of the local rules in your area. Faced with flying in IMC in my state of the art permit machine, in comparison with the aircraft I used to fly, I know what I would choose, but I do not make the rules!

The sort of local bumbling I do is midlands to Wick (north of Scotland) in 3 hours, or midlands to south of France in 4.5 (with a stop to clear customs). I tour France for a week two up most years, sometimes Spain etc as well. But I only fly for fun, and tend to attend big flyins with an emphasis on enthusiasts and interesting aircraft. I like 99% of European PPL’s, do not have an IR, but I do have a UK ˝ way house which is not valid outside the UK.

Rod1