PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 4
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 4
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2010, 06:48
wanna_be_there

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently Paul Kehoe said the new HS2 rail route would be good news for BHX. How?
He reckons it will make BHX 'LHR's 3rd runway', but then you have this scenario again:

For example, emirates fares from BHX are fairly similar to MAN, but MAN has the A380, F class and more business seats. Unless the flight is full, why would anyone want to travel down to BHX when they can jump on the same carrier, at similar prices, similar timings to the same destination from MAN?
Even if the fare is say, £50-100 cheaper from BHX, you negate that with extra travelling time and extra ground transport costs.
Swap MAN for LHR and you have the same issue.
Fares are already quite low at LHR due to competition, so why he thinks people will travel from London to Birmingham for a flight is beyond me? Add to that they have huge loco airports such as LTN/STN/LGW, I dont know who he thinks he's kidding.

I suppose its a case of 'tell yourself something false so much, and you will start to believe it'

Just seems like the whole plan for BHX is very fundamentally flawed, I mean, building a new pier with A380 gates, but not widening the taxiways to get it from the runway to terminal efficiently, !