PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - B737
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2002, 23:54
FRIDAY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pretty sure a Type rating does not come under the clasification of a JAA or FAA TR, If you get a type rating on a 737 it don't matter what country you got it. As for the states yes its cheaper, but at the moment its not possible for a foreign student to get type rated on any aircraft over a specified weight limit in the states. I can't remember what the limit is but most jet and turbo prop aircraft are over it. Other then airlines specified requirements on a flight deck for a new aircraft there is no difference in a 737 anywhere in the world that would require coversion training unless its possibley a different series. I believe with the airbus TR you can be covered on 2 or 3 different airbus aircraft e.g 321/320/310.
I would also suggest a type rating ain't the best way to go for a job, it narrows your choices for operators of that type, its pretty much useless unless you have the hrs to back it up on type. Best bet if you want to spend that cash on TR is to do it through the likes of Ryanair who require payment up front for TR.
Another option, although I've no idea about it so delve into it yourself is with some of the charter operators or fractional companies that operate light aircraft e.g king air's in the states and other places will offer you a position in the right seat to gain hrs,but your paying for them through the teeth and I am not sure how many aircraft will slip under the weight limit for TR for foreigners in the states. This is a possible option but a dodgy one at that at the moment. I think eagle-jet in the states run a few of these type of programmes, they look very tempting but be careful.