PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHAMPTON
Thread: SOUTHAMPTON
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2010, 19:27
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Following action by the UK to remove undeclared Differences from ICAO SARPs (just before an ICAO audit of the UK?) it is my understanding that there is no longer such an animal as an "uncatergorised" ILS in the UK, albeit that AIP entries have not yet been amended.

In respect of those ILS in UK that were formally "uncategorised", often due to the obstacle environment in the precision segment of the approach, and a resultant inability to meet CAP 168 (aka ICAO Annex 14) requirements for an obstacle free precision approach runway approach surface, the CAA has been forced into a more pragmatic position as a way of killing off the UK "uncategorised" ILS.

The result is that the SOU ILS will shortly become CAT 1, possibly by mid January 2011. Using a computer based programme, known as a "collision risk model" the obstacle environment is analysised and a DH based upon the actual obstacle environment. I tried to get CAA to agree to it for SOU 18 years ago, and was shown the door with some muttering of "over my dead body".

The result at SOU should be an ILS RVR minima of 700 metres (due to restricted approach lighting) and 100+ FT off the current DH. This should of course minimise the future chances of go-arounds with 2000+ metres vis and BKN 200 FT.

To all my soon to be former customers at BEE, AUR, and EZE enjoy, sorry it was so long in coming.