PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 4
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 4
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2010, 18:42
OltonPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BHX/easyjet

wanna_be_there

easyjet's presence is not quite nil, they are actually operating now from BHX (Grenoble operated this weekend) and next weekend will see seven flights, which is as good as it gets!!!

The rumour is that BHX have been trying to get easyjet for years although under what terms I have no idea.

The understanding with Ryanair as far as I know was nothing particularly special and hence the initial expansion when fees were low and very little since.

BHX also was unlucky with BMI Baby and their re-focussing/fleet reduction, coupled with the recession (although all airports had to deal with that).

One airline that has been reliable is flybe but they are very conservative with route expansion and several destinations BHX need would need a jet and the 195 was probably deemed too big. Hopefully the 175 will be the salvation but quite a time to wait for them.

Monarch have stayed loyal but their model is quite fixed and any new routes will be measured and all sun related.

I doubt panic is setting in yet but it never looks good when all around you seem to be increasing their destination portfolio.

At the start of the recession BHX's passenger figures held up quite well and when they did drop it was less than some similar sized airports. Taking that into account I suppose we should not be too surprised the climb back to positive figures is slow going.

I think we all hoped things would have improved by now and it does seem a never-ending run of if not bad, certainly disappointing news.

Even the Ryanair FUE announcement was tempered by Ryanair immediately reducing frequencies on the Murcia and Palma next summer plus there is the loss off Weeze - one step forward and two back.

Even small things like KLM increasing frequency/capacity at ABZ, GLA, EDI
MAN, BRS but BHX......Nothing as yet and summer 2011 leaves just one KLM Amsterdam departure after 13.40. Hopefully that will change.

Pete