PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dassualt Mercure Survivors
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2010, 17:12
Jig Peter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And ...

And as well as the 72 and 73, there's always the A320 which BA deigned to take over from BCal - I remember Mrs. T eventually agreeing to lend some money to develop it - while throwing out BAe's attached requests for money for Jetstream 41 and the 146 - commenting in her inimitable way "I hope it's not going to be another Concorde" ... She certainly got her money back in the royalties !

Addendum: I did hear about that time that deHs and Boeing were "sort of" going to do what became the 727 together, as the BEA and PanAm specs were so similar, whence the Boeing team's presence at Hatfield, but when BEA's "experts" decided they wanted an aircraft about half the size of their original idea, Boeing's team packed up and went on to do the aircraft themselves. Later "experts" from BEA decided the 727 was what they really, really wanted, having seen what the Trident could (or couldn't) do. But Mrs. T saw through the manoeuvre and told them where to get off.

Last edited by Jig Peter; 13th Dec 2010 at 17:35. Reason: delete surplus "p" + addendum