PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MR2 MAD circle flying
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2010, 16:13
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jig,

I came from the V-force and thought I might try my hand at some proper astro. First the sun gun was b****y useless compared with the Mk2 Peri, OK, it was supposed to be more accurate in azimuth for correcting the IN - that says something about the Mk 1, but it had no decent hand grips.

Then I briefed the pilots on the niceties of monitoring heading and speed changes. Having been used to speed changes of a knot or so and heading changes of no more than 0.2 degrees the best the Mk 1 could achieve was about 1.8 degrees in a minute.

It was such a rotten astro platform that for the rest of my tour we were either 'tactical' or below cloud so I did my 3 and 6 hourly heading checks using FMA.

I am surprised they didn't consider trailing a drogue chute to straighten the damn thing up.

Oh, the other thing, how can you keep 6 knockers sitting still for 10 minutes - you can't, so that really was that.

But that reminds me - the astro step. You left a light on to illuminate the step and a bag hanging off the sextant. If you didn't trip the buggers up they brained themselves