PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryan Air and EZ Jet Looking!!
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2002, 19:39
Canada Goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.......the other side to the story

Hap Hazard,

Thanks for your implicit understanding and moral support. You've pretty much summed up what my strategy would be; that of waiting to see which way the market turns. Of course, there's always that nagging issue at the back of my mind which is, if things pick up swiftly and I already have the main prerequiste, i.e. fATPL, then I'm in an eligible position to hopefully be picked up. However, if I wait and see if the market picks up, then I'm already behind the curve as I'd have to do all the exams and conversions. For it to be effective, I'd probably have to give up my 'day job', as opposed to my former thinking, which was studying and flying outside of 'work hours'. I would hate to be in a position that I'm sure some 'modular' people have unfortunately found themselves in whereby they have studied and trained at great personal cost for several years during the 'boom' years leading up to 11 months ago only to graduate just as the market shifts rapidly the other way.

HH, you've also touched on another interesting point, that regarding instructing or other small job. It's true 'she who must be obeyed' would be bringing home a fair old slice of bacon, and all things being equal I would readily consider such options. However, having already resigned myself to the fact I'd be taking a pay cut if I ever made the leap to an airline, there is a limit to how low I can go as Mrs Goose likes a pretty special nest, not to mention other fine things (read expensive) in life and although she can hold her own, she'll also be expecting Mr Goose to bring home a significant contribution for the nest, and after all, 'she must be obeyed' . That notwithstanding, I had meant to mention on my previous posts that for me, becoming Captain on a long haul 747 is not the 'be all and end all'. Far from it, if I can balance having a reasonably stable family life and earn enough to pay my way at home, with enough left over to save in my nest egg, then I'll be a happy camper. If this means working for an airtaxi or turbo prop regional then so be it, fine by me. All things being equal, if I could get a flying job that would allow me to stay local and have a family, then they could expect from me, years and years of faithful service. Hap Hazard, interstingly you also think along the same lines, given that you're already in an airline flying job and yet would be prepared to make a move that many would consider retrogressive !

Another point I had wanted to mention on my previous posts was that I don't have any real objection to airlines 'bonding' a pilot for a TR so long as other terms and conditions were reasonable. Very similar in my field to employers paying for relocation costs, which if you leave under your own volition within a specified time period, usually before the end of your first two years then you have to pay back a pro-rated amount. Seems fair to me !

Anyway, time to go and find a few more twigs for my nest ......

Cheers, C.G.