PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 91 Year Old Spitfire Pilot Needs Your Help
Old 10th Dec 2010, 14:02
VIProds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fear that I might have initiated a ticking time bomb, here. I was only hoping that someone might be able to help Alec retrieve his belongings & thanks to PPRuNe, we have been pointed in the right direction.

I have just received an e-mail from the RAF Benson PRO, who has profusely apologised for the lack of communication in the past. She has given the details that I sent her "to the team that are currently looking after the Heritage Centre & the Station Historian to look at this as a matter of urgency".

It might be of interest to know that Alec had to fly from St Eval in Cornwall to Norfolk as Military Intelligence had heard that the Germans were testing a new rocket aeroplane thingy on the Baltic Coast at a place called Peenemunde (that rings a bell!). Once Alec refuelled, he had to head up the North Sea in a North Easterly direction till he reached Denmark then turn onto an Easterly direction towards the Baltic, where he was able to photograph Peenemunde. The journy was further than flying to Berlin & the round trip was about 1,000nm. Alec's only concern was that he had a "numb bum" after sitting in a crampt Spitfire cockpit for nearly 5 hours.