PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why so few girls ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2002, 11:22
tacpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My post was not a typical one, however I did want the assertion that any profession "needs" more females to be challenged.

So far as I can see, beyond any natural justice involved (and I do agree that no gender should be excluded from any profession), I can only see that devoting time, effort and money to encouraging a particular section of the community to enter a particular profession benefits only those people who actually enter the profession and the employers who need their labour. Surely to everyone else their entry to the profession is more competition.

Perhaps someone can explain why diversity in the cockpit on race, sex or any other basis (other than the natural diversity between any two human beings) is a benefit. I thought the point was that the job could be done by anyone. Ergo two white males should be able to do the job as well as two white females or two coloured females. So who does it benefit to have diversity? I'm happy to fly with anyone, but I cannot accept that I need a female in the team to even things up on a sexual basis.

I'm not worried about anyone male or female taking my job. I make a point of having skills that employers want. I am hired or fired on my own merits and on those alone.

Please can anyone answer the question?