PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2010, 12:37
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
If upset was at 02:10 (or a little before), the aircraft simply could not have traveled anywhere near to the edge of a 40nm radius of interest (see Post #1349) in 4 minutes of rapidly descending and assumedly uncontrolled flight. You would conclude that the hull will be found close-in to the LKP.
GreatBear,

I strongly tend to agree.

Back then I did a rough calculation or should I say guestimate about the dissipation of speed assuming a high altitude stall and an impact with low forward velocity. Depending on when the initiatial decelleration (possibly due to climb) occured the resulting distance of travel after 2:10 was roughly between 20 - 25nm. Taking into account a possible course reversal the turn alone would consume between 6 and 12nm. So this would point to a likely range of the probable area between LKP and maybe 15nm south of LKP. Extrapolating the drift funnel to the south would point to a location pretty much close to but to the south of LKP.

Wild guess:
If I were asked to put a bet, I would start at LKP or maybe 5nm to the south of LKP and go in concentric circles from there. If after a Radius of 15nm nothing is found I would be rather surprised.