PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 4
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 4
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2010, 21:10
jimmysam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wanna_be_there

I always thought that the largest outside London was the North west?
When Bimans DAC-BRU-JFK flight was loosing money hand over fist, Im sure I read that the switch was made to DAC-MAN-JFK as it was the largest area outside London and that would help fill out the cabins?

As of 2006 estimates from the National Statistics West Midlands has a slightly larger Bangladeshi population than the North West.

Demographics of British Bangladeshis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
British Bangladeshi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The North West Bengali community live in concentrated areas mainly situated around Oldham and Rochdale. They have a very strong community and have fought for their right to a direct flight as the distance from Heathrow to the North West is too much.

Both Birmingham and Manchester have Bangladeshi Assistant High commission offices.

The Birmingham Bangladeshi community being so close to Heathrow never really had the need to fight for a direct flight. Things are now changing; all though they are not fighting for a direct flight the 2nd, 3rd generation Bangladeshi community are ever increasingly using flights through Dubai to Dhaka. They will have more options once Turkish starts flying to Dhaka.

The so called airlines Air Sylhet and Royal Bengal Airlines had aspirations to fly from Birmingham and Manchester. I know they are paper airlines but it’s only because Birmingham has a market that they have considered them.

United Airways Bangladesh wishes to fly to Birmingham and Manchester. Will these airlines ever deliver?

If only the Bangladeshi government worried less about pride and prestige and more about making the airline profitable. They should serve gatwick or stansted 5 times a week and Birmingham Manchester once weekly.

But well done for the MAG and the north west Bangladeshi community for getting the direct flight. Unlike Birmingham who have not even mentioned Dhaka as a possible destination even as far as the year 2030.