PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates is running an illegal operation
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 07:57
new tomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emirates is running an illegal operation

I just spent a few days in the sand visiting some ex-collegues that made the leap and joined Emirates. I onlyy stayed less than a week but I caught wind of some of what is going on and it does not look pretty or legal.
Some observations;
The Factoring. How on earth does any aviation authority think that crap is legal? Bunk time does not count towards your monthly or yearly limit! I know how Emirates got that approved but how do the English, Aussie's and of course the FAA turn a blind eye to that concept?
Everyone who spends anytime in the sand realizes that the GCAA is run by and takes direction from Emirates. The FAA and everyone else will have blood on their hands when a crash happens because of this stupid order.
The Duty Limits. My friends were telling me that they have to be on the airplane by the time their duty time starts. All of the their pre-flight paperwork and briefings are done without being credited for their duty.
Then what is worse when they set the brakes after a trip is over they are off duty! The engines are still running, passengers are on board, and no checklists have been completed but you are off duty. Again how does the GCAA think this is legal.
Emirates can run their long, two pilot turnarounds in the middle of the night and that is why they do what they do but how good is it going to look when the crash happens? They are pushing the limits and it is going to catch up with them.
My friends sure have aged in the last two years since I have seen them. They said everyone is flying 95 hours with a lot of backside of the clock flying. That is all hard time, no credit which is just insane but I must admit not illegal. If Emirates pilots want to put up with that crap who can stop them but it is their grave they are digging weather they know it or not.
I interviewed and even got hired a few years back for full disclosure. Fortunately I did not take the offer because I would have looked and felt like my friends do now.
The next time any of you EK pilots have a USA layover be sure to call the FAA. They probably will not do anything but at least you will get it on record of what Emirates is doing as they have to make a record of every complaint and your conscience will feel better when the accident happens.
Good luck to all of you and be sure to voice your concerns about the illegal operation Emrates is running. Let's hope they change for the better and stay on this side of the law but after all it is the middle east.
Last but not least remember that the US carriers will be hiring soon. Your body will thank you later.