PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning for pax heading to St Lucia on BA
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 16:24
MIDLGW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piton,

I understand your frustration, but I must correct you on what you wrote re the UVF going through ANU. In those days, UVF was a shuttle from ANU and therefore stopped in ANU both ways. I did enough of those flights to remember.

In regards to transfers for crew from UVF to the north of the island: When we first started stopping in UVF, we stayed approx 15mins from Rodney Bay. The drive was often 2 hours each way. Having done a long flight, crew do get tired, and having such a long (and pretty scary) drive to be able to get to the hotel is not ideal. In those days, our trip length was 6 and 7 day trips, so we had a chance to have a clear day in the hotel. Nowadays, most of the UVF trips are 4 days with a shuttle. So, leaving LGW Monday morning (example only), arriving in UVF in the afternoon local time (approx 19.30z). Drive to Rodney Bay or Castries, approx 2 hours, arrival approx 22.30z (due to disembarkation, handing over to new crew, getting suitcases etc). Next day is shuttle day, so pick up would be around noon local for another 2 hour drive. Do shuttle to POS and repeat drive back to hotel. Next day, pick up around 1600 local, for drive back to UVF for the night flight home. Land at LGW on Thursday morning. Tiring? You bet!

As I've mentioned before, we cannot keep changing hotels back and forth. Hotels for crew have to be inspected, to make sure hygiene, safety etc are good enough. Due to bulk booking (we need a minimum of 24 rooms per night), it's not easy finding a suitable hotel. It's better to keep the crew in an alternative hotel until the original is back to normal. It might not make sense to anyone outside of the industry, but that's the way it is.

The crew you had on board should not let their displeasure about the situation interfere with the way customers are treated. I'm guessing they've been spoiled with the AI hotel in UVF and now resent having to pay for stuff. I do understand crew's worry about safety and security in POS, however as I just mentioned, this should NOT interfere with the customer service levels on board.

My informant on VS crew is obviously wrong, which in this instance I'm pleased about.

Things will get back to normal, it's just taking longer than we all want.