PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 15:49
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How come airports with similar weather (LHR, AMS, BRU, CDG, ORY etc) can stay open?
Please rant less and read more. LHR has not had a fraction of the snow that LGW has. There were no trains all the way from Gatwick through Croydon this morning.
BBC News - Snow leaves travellers facing further severe disruption

I'm not sure I'd want to fly from here today anyway.

ll this disruption does seem excessive given the relatively small amount of snowfall, and that other countries with similar climates, e.g. Holland, do not seem to have been disrupted to anything approaching the same extent. The excuse that this is 'exceptional' is wearing a bit thin.
Having waded through it I am unwiling to defer to your judgement on this. As I skidded for the umpteenth time it was obviously and quite apparently EXCEPTIONAL. Some people just love to moan. If this becomes the norm we will get better at it but in recent years, there has been no call for the huge infrastructure changes that this calls for.

so perhaps a substantially reduced service would have made sense.
As to the Express, it serves more than Gatwick nowadays but is unable to pass trains stuck ahead hence the closures. I know I was stuck static at Victoria for an hour on Monday and that was a good result tbh.