PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning for pax heading to St Lucia on BA
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 15:46
piton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MIDLGW

I have removed the hotel name. I did mention the lack of water as a reason the hotel is not being used. The hotel has been repaired and wants to reopen as soon as water is available but that is not expected for some weeks if not the whole month. It is in fact closed to business (the Virgin crew are not staying there but in the north). In the north all hotels reopened with 2 weeks, water supply has been restored and some hotels have desalination plants anyway.

The road to the north is the same one all passengers as well as Virgin crew use. It has also been open the last 2 weeks with some bits single lane but we actually got down to the south in the usual driving time as it was a Sunday and there was little traffic. I'll give you that transfers would take longer than usual on weekdays but people who do not really need to are not making the trip so traffic is generally lighter than usual if I am to believe what friends say.

I fully understand why there was disruption in the first 2 weeks or so - the island was a mess. There was at that time a warning on the BA news page and BA even arranged small aircraft shuttle service to the airport in the north.My irritation came from the fact that BA then removes the warning notice but still operates the same way as they were a week after the hurricane.

The flight goes through POS on *both* the outward and return journey and as POS is south of St Lucia this all adds to the extra time. When they went through Antigua it was only on the outbound journey and Antigua is "on the way" to St Lucia.

The idea behind my suggestion of moving the crew to one of the other St Lucian hotels was that they would be in a better mood (due to IA at most of the hotels and the safer atmosphere in St Lucia) as I agree with you on the drawbacks of POS. Maybe some crew need to put the matter to the HOTAC dept that the 30 mins extra transfer time compared to POS would be offset by these factors. Or make a case for a higher per diem if not in an IA hotel.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post but I was annoyed as to how BA were treating both their pax and their crew.