PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning for pax heading to St Lucia on BA
Old 1st Dec 2010, 22:31
MIDLGW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't answer as to why ba.com has the wrong info. However, BA figured that it was better to nightstop the crew in POS instead of UVF. Why? Well, just after the hurricane hit, the north of St Lucia was inaccessible by road from the south. The roads between north and south are pretty grim even without the help of Tomas. Also, for clarification, we can't just move crew around from island to island, south to north. That's not how it works. There's also the issue with suitability and availability of hotels. There are other factors that are taken into account when choosing where to nightstop a crew, but I'm not at liberty to post that here.

Can I also "thank" you for giving the Pprune world info as to which hotel we stay in? It should've been enough to say we (normally) stay in the south of the island. Please bear in mind that our hotel in uvf currently doesn't have a roof on half of the hotel. No running water apart from sometimes a trickle of cold water. The poor VS crew have been put inthis hotel recently, bless them. It must be pretty grim.

I'm sorry you were unhappy with the crew. Without being there myself, I can't comment on your experience. Neither will I try to defend the crew's behaviour. Hopefully your next trip will be better.

Crew stopping in POS don't like it for mainly two reasons: they're used to AI in UVF, and have to pay for food/drink in POS hotel, which is expensive from what I've been told. Secondly, POS isn't exactly a safety haven. I believe crew have been adviced to not venture out very far from the hotel, especially after dark. I certainly wouldn't feel terribly safe going there, and I've been to some dodgy places in my time.

Hopefully, things will get back to normal asap. I know it's no consolation, but UVF used to be served via ANU not so long ago.

Last edited by MIDLGW; 1st Dec 2010 at 22:44.