PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help needed with Air Law
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2010, 16:44
CharlieDeltaUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed with Air Law

I'm studying for my Air Law exam but I promised myself that I'd approach all the exam subjects with the intention of becoming competent and safe rather than just learning to pass the exams - after all, I'm doing this for fun so I want to have the pleasure of a job well done.

Against that background, I need some help with air law. I'm reading the Air Pilot's Guide series. The book talks about various publications which one should familiarise with. Some of them aren't too bad - such as the suggested AIC pinks on subjects like windsheer. But some of the other publications are enormous. Take LASORS, for example - it's 684 pages. Then add things like AIP GEN 1.7 (which I understand sets out differences between ICAO standards and UK standards) - and you could end up reading truly vast amounts of info with lots of detail. Im not daft and in my line of work, I'm pretty good at trawling through documents, but retaining all this stuff is really a bit of a challenge. So, my first question is: how/where do you draw the line?

I've got a second question which is exam-related. I was testing myself on what I've done so far (Aviation law and legislation) from various example questions: some from the Air Pilot's Manual and some from an Oxford CD. In both cases, I come across some questions about which I have seen no coverage at all, which makes me wonder if there's even more stuff I should be reading. An example: Is Jet A-1 a turbine fuel or gasoline? Am I missing something?

Finally, one of the practice questions asked the number of the AIC pink which covers take-off, climb and landing performance in light aircraft. I've read the AIC document, but have you really got to learn mundane stuff like an AIC reference number? I can understand learning the details from the actual pink, but why on earth should we learn the document references?

All help and guidance warmly appreciated.