PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Joe Eakins: Brave?....or....
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2010, 14:12
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lookleft and bookit (sorry I missed your post)

Ok CC I'll bite. If you are wondering what has got the pilot group up in arms then try this:

- no holidays available for school holidays Christmas or Easter
- no base security for wide body or narrow body. If they view that their financial interest is better served by moving a wide-body from Sydney to Cairns stuff the effect that it has on the individual
- No transparency on payslips for allowances or overtime
- Basing VH aircraft in Singapore and paying less than the EBA while at the same time stating that they will be setting up a shelf company to employ other Jetstar Group pilots in Australia.
- Workplace bullying by sending out emails stating that they have dismissed fulltime employees before they have even told the individual.

BTW unless you are stealing flying from your fellow pilots not too many jetstar line pilots are pulling in 270-290k

No xmas/easter holidays for anyone ever or just YOU didn't get what YOU want? It might surprise you to learn that we are in the business of taking people on THEIR holidays. If I get xmas off 1 time in 5 I feel lucky. Its the nature of the beast....it works on seniority...if you don't like it leave the industry.

Base security? Yeah I know moving is a pain...believe me it gets harder as you get older...but again its the nature of our industry and many others. I have been in the same house the last 7 years - by FAR the longest time in any one place in the last 25.

If they need to move an aeroplane to another base where it can get better utilisation so it can make money and pay everyones wages what do you expect them to do?

Once again it falls into the category of "Don't like it? Vote with your feet" because it will NEVER be different. Or you could join EK - like my airline they have only 1 base...but you'll be living in DXB (not your average wife's idea of paradise) doing 900 hrs/annum ultra long haul (you think you have been fatigued? You don't know ****) for no more $ in your bank account than now. Your choice I guess.

As far as temping in Singapore is concerned if an A320 Capt/FO based Sydney bids for a Sin slot he comes back 2 years later to his same seat in Sydney. Fact.

bookit your mate resigned from a jet job to fly a Kingair rather than be based in Darwin - is he a bit 'slow'? Hell I don't want to fly silly French light twins either - but I'd rather that than RFDS

If they cock up your payslip from time to time ring them up and very nicely point out what YOU think is the mistake and if you're correct sit back and it will arrive in your bank account - you're one of how many 1000s of employees? Are you perfect?

I have covered J* Sin - like it or lump it.

As far as BB's effort to set up a a shelf company to screw you all over - remind me again how many days it took for the dill to be told that was ILLEGAL and that ended it?

If they have sent out such emails that is disgraceful - but was it an honest mistake or deliberate policy? Has it happened once or is it 'normal' practice - I would be prepared to bet it was an unfortunate error - although Human Remains are more than capable of these sorts of stuff ups regularly enough to make you wonder. Either way its the sort of issue that gets sorted in my experience - the dill who sends the emails eventually gets to send one to themselves.

Stealing flying from your fellow pilots? Are you taking the piss?

The J* EBA is written in such a way that if you want to work hard you get paid ****loads. If you like your roster set in stone not so much. Most people fall somewhere in between those extremes with some variation from time to time.

So if Pilot A says YES to extra flying 7 times out of 10 and Pilot B says yes 3 times out of 10 who do you think the stressed and harassed short term schedulers will call first when they need a pilot? By your logic pilot A is 'stealing flying' from pilot B?

Are you really as dim as you sound?

I am still to see what it is you Gen Y folk are so stirred up about - apart from, it seems, life just aint living up to your preconceptions.

Better harden up - it doesn't get better.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 1st Dec 2010 at 14:40.