PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Joe Eakins: Brave?....or....
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2010, 08:00
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once again, as repeatedly stated, if the difference between Jetstar's operation being profitable or not is the difference in pilots' salary (and it's not that much BTW) then the whole thing is pretty marginal and not sustainable. If you believe that, your believing management BS.
No actually its not management BS. Thanks to politicians inflating our currencies to near worthlessness the cost of just about EVERYTHING is going up at a rate far in excess of wages. The ONLY thing management can control is labour costs. I find that just as distasteful as anyone but there it is. It will only be fixed when we put all the pollies and economists up against a wall and shoot them.

At some point in the wages vs productivity curve J* would cease to exist - the vast majority of J*'s customers used to either not travel as much or went via inter state bus or they drove. They didn't travel on mainline at the drop of a hat. This weekend my daughter and her fella are going to Sydney, probably on J*, for about $90 each return - they simply would not be flying if the only option was QF Domestic or the TAA/AN of old.

J*/VB etc have grown the pie - there are a LOT more pilots enjoying good careers now than 10 years ago - and if you think J* isn't a good job in its own right you're delusional.

EK and J* Singapore ARE functionally identical - ultimate ownership is, legally, simply irrelevant.

One question QF pilots could legitimately demand answers to is why have QF management meekly allowed EK to build such an enormous brand presence in Australia - why hasn't QF expanded and captured some of that work between Oz and Europe through DXB with the/a QF premium brand?

Nothing was stopping him (Dixon), short of being a clueless moron. EK is most assuredly NOT a LCC.

Yep, this is another recurring theme you see in a lot of posts. So by your logic the JPC should be advocating accepting pilots from outside J* to come and fill the positions in SIN on lesser T&Cs. Let me know how you go convincing them with that one.
I am absolutely certain I couldn't convince the current JPC that night follows day. I find that the JPC thinks they should have any input astounding. That there is the current deal is amazing given J* Sin IS as much of a separate legal entity as SQ. You might ponder the kind of management that seeks the deal they currently have - I find it difficult to condemn them.

That IS the legal situation and that IS how management sees it and if you cannot accept that then there is little hope for you ever having any credibility with the people who employ you.

Do you think having credibility with your employer is important?

Do I think the J* Sin deal is great? No I think it sucks. Its disgraceful in fact - but neither do I find it surprising that J* management would start with a low ball offer and see what happened. Do you expect them to unilaterally offer CX A scale as a starting point?

That is not how the Free Market works. If it wasn't for the free market most of us wouldn't be in aviation careers to begin with.

I have spent 25 years working in countries with ZERO meaningful employment/labour laws and truly 'evil' management has been VERY much the exception to the rule - to hear you lot tell it that is the only kind that exists in Australia.

So I'll ask again - what has happened in J* in the last few years that justifies Joe Eakins nailing himself to a cross and destroying his career?

You asking me to believe its just over J* Singapore?

For people he either doesn't know/has never met and may not even be Australian?

And make no mistake - unlike the other chap who pulled a fake sicky and was caught/sacked but who has remained anonymous Joe has probably actually ended his career.

Joe for reasons I cannot fathom has put himself in a situation WAY beyond his control. He is being held up by you lot as some sort of messiah when, in reality, he has just been a silly little boy.

I have watched for 4+ years as a proportion of the J* pilot group has wound themselves up in a frenzy over fck all. I have seen it before and it often ends this way - a bunch of people sitting around whinging at each other about how unfair 'it' all is. The classic 'conflict spiral' we hear about in CRM - and then someone does something REALLY dumb.

People who have NOT lost their jobs are STILL prodding him out the front as some sort of spokesmen for 'the movement', like some sort of ghoulish cheer squad. What his REAL mates should have done is tell him to back off.

That poor dumb fck!

Edit for Gnads et al.

It remains to be seen whether I am wrong about the GFC as it pertains to Oz - I was spot on about the world (and there are people who will back me up on that)

If you think going from circa 90k to circa 270-290k (real actual numbers) in several years is not 'impressive' then it aint me who is confused about the meaning of the word.

Lowered standards?

Care to give some examples that don't pertain equally to the whole industry?