PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jerez or another school..advice pls
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2001, 01:17
Capt Wannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich Tea
I am happy to reply to your questions, but remember it is based on my personal experience with BAE in Jerez, and different people have different views on things so here goes :

1. YES. Spanish is not needed. Obviously the more you can pick up the better, but you will soon learn how to order beer and ask for more potatoes. There are a lot of the staff that speak Spanish and English, and I always found them very helpful if anything needed translating, or you needed to contact a Spanish person for some reason.

2. A few have their own cars. I was there for about six months before I took my car down. It is a long drive, and I would hesitate about doing it again. It is very handy to have a car down there especially for bringing everything home at the end of the course, but it is perfectly possible to get by on the transport provided at the college and with the use of local taxis.

3. I'm sure moggie is better qualified to answer this one, but remember it is MCC and NOT A TYPE-RATING so I don't think it matters what you do it in. The HS125 is great fun to fly.

4. Well I didn't!

5. How much time do you think you are going to have to go off sight-seeing The town of Jerez is very historic with loads of things to visit it that turns you on. The Motorbike GP in May is absolutely fantastic as is the fair. Seville is about 40 minutes up the road, and there is loads going on there. Gibralter is about 1 1/2 or 2 hours away if you need Safeway. The coast has fantastic beaches. There are loads of small hill towns and villages to visit. The Sierra Nevada is not far away...... etc.etc.......

6. When I was in groundschool it was notes from Four Forces which to be honest were crap. (little wonder they don't exist anymore). These have been built on using the notes from BAe Prestwick, and I think most subjects have been rewritten. There is a new CBT lab with most (if not all) of the JAR syllabus covered.

I hope that helps a bit, and if you want to know more then email me.

The opinions expressed above are MINE and not neccessarily anyone elses