PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 4
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 4
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2010, 17:19
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made a profit - yes

Meeting the real travel needs of the West Midlands region - no, well not as well as they could be

Yes there is a double daily DXB and a daily EWR. Thers's no knocking that. But these have been in place for years - as pointed out there has been no new route announcements or airlines at BHX for nigh on 2 years. And they wonder why 40% of its catchment use other airports? For my last four journeys I have had to use BRS or EMA as there were no flights available to the destinations (all within Europe) I was going to from BHX (apart from eye wateringly expensive connecting flights via a European hub).

Talking of which, yes BHX does have a credible range of flights to major European hubs - ideal for long haul travellers. But where are the direct connections to major European cities like BER, BUD, ROM, MAD and so on? Can routes to European cities only survive from BHX if they rely on transfer traffic to put bums on seats?

As for EDI yes it has quite a few things going in its favour but as far as i'm aware its always been Scotlands capital and a big tourist destination so why the steal on BHX in recent years - because they have attracted new routes and airlines something that BHX simply isn't doing.

If I was a teacher my report card for BHX would include that tried and tested old phrase 'could be doing better'