PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 30th Nov 2010, 09:59
Richard228

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mariner9
This dispute therefore is not about disgruntled cabin crew. It is mainly about disgruntled ex-cabin crew. Not a lot BA can do about that really if DH & Co refuse to leave BASSA and the CC are too ignorant of the situation and/or apathetic to remove them.
very neat summary of where we are!

baggersup
Question though. If BA warns of unprotected IA, and the crew go out on IA anyway, is BA obliged by law to sack them?
BA is not obliged to sack employees who take unprotected industrial action, but they must treat all strikers the same. i.e. if they are going to sack strikers, then they must sack all unprotected strikers, and cannot select which troublemakers to get rid of.

Source : Taking part in industrial action : Directgov - Employment

They can however sack the lot, then wait three months, and re-instate who they want, on whatever grounds they want, with no legal ramifications.

So would BA sack them...? I would guess that depends on the number of employees, who have the guts to take unprotected indutrial action.. if its a small number of trouble makers..then why not...? if its a bigger number then it could make bad press.

BA has handled the media very well throughout this dispute... i doubt they would do anything to jeopordise that....