PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Joe Eakins: Brave?....or....
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2010, 21:46
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALAN JOYCE, CEO QANTAS: Yeah well in this case the pilot in question didn't raise safety concerns. He raised issues that are industrial relations issues related to employment in Singapore and relating to progression within the organisation. Nothing to do with safety.
Ok thats the companies interpretation of the article. Does this mean any Jetstar or Qantas pilot that submits anything of the like to the Senate Enquiry will also be dismissed? Its kind of the same thing depending again on interpretation of the code of conduct.

Hmmm. Alan Joyce and the QF group have started digging a hole. I can see some smiling lawyers/barristers filling their pockets with fistfulls of cash in the high court.

Some interesting concepts coming up here. Freedom of speech and the code of conduct crossing paths. So why bother having a Senate Enquiry at all if the people that know the most about whats happening in the flight deck technically can't speak about it due to a potential breach of the code of conduct? Indeed this whole forum should be outlawed.

For the record I don't think anyone should attach their name to an article or submission to a Senate enquiry for these very reasons. And thats why the Senate enquiry will never get the full truth about this industry. Very few would risk a career under the control of a dictatorship.

Maybe North Korea could learn something from Australia. Thats it, pretend to be a democracy but deep down hold extreme dictatorship values as the basis on which to run the country. The history of whistleblowers in this country isn't very good. Do you remember the Four Corners episode about the whistle blower. Recommended viewing.

Indeed I'd say the message to employees is "Keep your mouth shut or we will fire you". Safety officially in free fall. Good luck Senator Xenophon, big business wins in Australia. ALWAYS.