PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Joe Eakins: Brave?....or....
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2010, 04:34
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The degree of naivety on this thread is just mind boggling.

When I read Eakins' letter to the Australian I experienced a sharp intake of breath. From the moment it was published under his real name his tenure at J* was EXTREMELY tenuous.

Do you people not remember WHY we don't use our real names on this forum?

Is there an airline anywhere in the world at any time that has NOT had a clause in its employment agreement that PROHIBITS the very behaviour that Eakins' has demonstrated?

Why didn't he keep it in house if he really believed the issues were safety rather than industrial?

I am going to suggest the reason we have heard nothing from JPC/AFAP is that they KNOW Eakins has shot himself in both feet in such a way that he is beyond realistic help.

Eakins has expressed a degree of shock and dismay at the predicament he has found himself in - welcome to the real world Mr Eakins. Life is generally harder when you don't ask, and take heed of, advice from the grown ups. I can think of several people he SHOULD have asked advice from and LISTENED to BEFORE he went public.

To a man they would have said "Do this Joe and they WILL sack you and there will be not one thing AFAP/AIPA, or JC himself, will be able to do about it".

I watched AJ interviewed yesterday on ABC and he was asked about Eakins. He made it very clear that Eakins was spoken to on more than one occasion about these matters (before he went public) but was unwilling to modify his attitude ultimately leading to the Australian article. J*/QF management are not the guilty party here.

Eakins backed them into a corner.

Unlike AIPA, and many posters on PPrune, AFAP is industrially savvy enough to know what an 'industrial issue' looks like, let alone which ones are worth fighting.

If QF group wants to start an airline in Singapore, Vietnam or outer fcking Mongolia it has NOT ONE THING to do with AIPA or AFAP.

NOTHING!

IF J* offers temporary postings to staff to get that airline off the ground - with all the protections they have put in place re right of return, seniority etc - then that is a matter for the staff concerned NOT AIPA/AFAP.

If said staff accept the T&Cs on offer then that is their right - if they end up running foul of the ATO tough ****, they should have been better informed.

If that entity operates into and out of Australia then so be it. Its got NOT ONE thing to do with AIPA/AFAP let alone the greater Australian pilot polity.

SQ,EK,BA,CX, RBA, PX, Air Pac, Air Vanuatu ALL operate into and out of Australia with Australian nationals at the controls but for some strange reason that is not deemed an industrial, let alone safety, issue.

J* Singapore as a legal entity is NO DIFFERENT and AIPA/AFAP have no more input to it than they do at EK or CX.

It seems only AFAP has the industrial maturity to understand that fact.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it illegal or even inappropriate. All I see in this thread, and across the Australian aviation landscape generally, is a bunch of industrially naive Gen X/Y children spinning themselves into a knot over stuff that is either none of their business or a complete NON ISSUE.

10 years ago Impulse was a small airline in Port Macquarie operating B1900s. It was bought, re fleeted with B717s, staffed with appropriate experience to allow the former B1900 crews to progress to the LHS of jets in a short period. Sold again it became J* with Airbus aircraft and providing quality employment to a huge number of people.

A DEC C&Ter accepting employment at Impulse on the 717 was paid 90k with a one page contract - no overtime etc. 7 years later through diligent and mature negotiations undertaken in good faith that same individual can earn triple that early wage under an EBA that, even AIPA acknowledged, is VERY good. The most junior FO at J* now earned more than the most senior C&Ter did just a few years before and with command prospects measured in years rather than decades.

But is anybody hailing the JPC (of the day) and the J* pilot group generally as worthy of praise?

Nope they are attacked and derided at every chance.

It may be (who knows?) that BB has the current J* EBA in his sights - THAT would be a battle worth fighting - in the meantime all I see is people bleeding out on the industrial sidewalk for no good reason.