PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Joe Eakins: Brave?....or....
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2010, 22:26
balance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, let me say that I wholly support Joe in his endeavours, and I have no beef with any individual Jetstar pilot.

But I do relate to Shed Dogs comments, and no Sherm, they werent cruel at all, they were realistic. Indeed I offer the following in relation to your reply:

I was not around at the time but I don't think that AIPA wanted to discuss life with the Impulse pilots
No, they didnt. And why should they? Are you suggesting that AIPA should embrace every pilot group that springs up and threatens to undercut them? That would hasten our race to the bottom, wouldnt you say? What happens when Airlines of Meekathara now step in and tell Qantas they will fly Jetstar and Qantas' routes for 20% less crew costs? You think AIPA should be pleased and welcome and support them? Hardly!

And has AIPA expelled the myriad QF drivers who transferred across to JQ under the MOA?
No, they are dealing with this situation the best way that they can. But look what is now happenning. The undercutters are being undercut. There is a serious irony there. Shed Dog has pointed out that these guys started that race, and Joe Eakins was the only one in that organisation to recognise it and say STOP, enough is enough. The rest of Jetstar should be up in arms, but ironically enough, we are hearing more from Qantas pilots than we are Jetstar.

Do QF drivers refuse to travel on JQ aircraft when they're on hols? Do QF drivers blacklist and refuse to carry JQ code-share passengers.
Of course they don't. That would be stupid unauthorised industrial action. Why on earth would you expect them to?

The industry would be very different now had AIPA taken a firm stand to support their domestic colleagues in 1989.
For F***s sake, this has NOTHING to do with 1989. Get over it. AIPA and Qantas is a totally different entity now. The possibility that you still harbour this bitterness and are willing to bring it into this discussion completely devalues the quality of some of your previous posts.

Is this the ideal: that no Australian pilot would have ever joined VB after Ansett's demise and no Australian pilot would have ever flown for JQ?
Well, how long is a peice of string? I dont know, nor do you, and nor does anyone else. Airline managements are going to try to find a way to screw us no matter what. If it wasnt Jetstar, Impulse, Virgin or Tiger, it would have been someone or something else.

Keg said:

Shed Dog Tosser, what the original members of Impulse and J* did to QF crew is water under the bridge now. At the time many QF drivers begged for unity and yes, some IPC/ J* crew laughed in our faces. I've got no doubt that some of those guys would do the same again. That said, the overwhelming majority of J* crew joined after these times. In that respect, once they've joined, both they and the current QF pilots would be nuts if they didn't see that our futures are aligned and that we've got more in common than what separates us.
An altruistic statememt if ever I've heard one. Yes - the Impulse guys likely precipitated this slide. But it is what it is now and we must fight it.