PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 28th Nov 2010, 17:27
Landroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From somewhere to somewhere from somewhere else.

The following has been posted recently on 'the other thread', purporting to be from an open letter to Len McCluskey, from a concerned onlooker.

"Dear Mr McCluskey,

I am writing to congratulate you on becoming the new General Secretary of Unite the Union.

As you are aware, I have published open letters arguing that the quality of BA’s professional and experienced cabin crew is one of the few advantages left in flying with British Airways. Because of these letters and my subsequent involvements, I have witnessed first-hand the passion and enthusiasm of the cabin crew against a management that were trying to destroy the premium airline so loved by the crew.

However, I hope you would agree that Unite should and could have done better to help and represent the cabin crew in their dispute with BA’s management. It is undeniable that Unite’s badly organised campaign to convince the public that the cabin crew had no choice but to strike, has been most ineffective. Against a well managed and efficient BA publicity machine, Unite’s attempts looked amateurish.

Furthermore, Unite’s legal advisors have continuously failed to protect the cabin crew members against the brutal and most probably illegal behaviour of BA’s management. More importantly, Unite have lost important grounds to BA management during their negotiations probably because they lacked the benefit of competent professional and business advisors that BA had the support of.

I have read with interest your recent comments in the Financial Times. You stated that in your experience there is no such thing as an “irresponsible strike”. However, in modern day Britain there are many better ways than striking to protect the interest of your members . For example, in the case of British Airways, there was a golden opportunity for your Union to persuade BA’s large shareholders that contrary to what BA management were telling them, it made financial sense for BA to agree a fair settlement with the cabin crew long before there was a need to strike.

I hope you do not mind me writing this open letter criticizing the performance of your Union and agree that it is good to receive constructive criticism from an outsider with no vested interest.

Yours sincerely,"
Given that it expresses a view from a passenger/shareholder not seen on here in the history of the thread; that it mentions BASSA not at all; and that it actually accuses BA of illegal action vis:

Furthermore, Unite’s legal advisors have continuously failed to protect the cabin crew members against the brutal and most probably illegal behaviour of BA’s management.
Does anyone else get a whiff of fish and feel, like me, that the writer has anything but "no vested interest"?

Roger.