PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trident autothrust system and autoland
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2010, 14:07
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
We have to do one a month for currency plus the real ones so over the years I have probably done a couple of hundred on the 737. Actually I don't think it does a bad job, not noticeably worse than us anyway.

I do not believe it is set up to make a dirty dive for the beginning of the runway, however good a story that might be. It follows the glideslope which as a cursory scan of the Jepp chart shows can lead to a quite different point. It also doesn't call you a retard in the flare, a pleasure I am soon to enjoy.

However if you do a practice autoland for currency purposes unprotected (e.g. low vis procedures not in force) there seems to be a marked tendency on our early NGs for the autopilots to trip out when the previous aircraft clears the runway.

I am fascinated by Prober's story of trying to autoland off a non precision approach. The concept of the aircraft flying based on memory seems to have been resurrected in part on our newer aircraft which are more tolerant of minor beam deviations. So again there is not much new under the sun. However the rest of it (and the earlier VSP anecdote) reinforces why some pilots get into management and maybe should stay there.