PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 28th Nov 2010, 08:32
JazzyKex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stiffco

I suspect most members of BALPA, and I definitely include myself in this, did not join with any consideration towards the greater trades union movement. For me it was the only option for collective bargaining/negotiation with the company.

It seems that this is arrangement is one which not only BALPA members are happy with but also the company seems to encourage. How would it be possible to negotiate individual term and conditions for 40,000 employees. It is also this which makes the BASSA argument that BA is anti union complete nonsense! It is completely in their interest as a company to have group negotiation. It is a business, whose decisions are cost driven both long and short term. To remove unions would not be cost effective. However if a negotiating body proves utterly ineffective in either gathering the views of the majority of their associates or in putting those views to the company in business terms, rhetoric and emotion free then are practically useless. BASSA are proving to be, unfortunately for their current and past members ineffective as a group negotiating body.

The fact that being an association affiliated with the TUC comes as part of the BALPA package does not mean that their would be any solidarity for the likes of a general strike. Even in principle let alone practice. To me it is deeply unfortunate that the requirement for moderate negotiation on behalf of a work group can even be considered under the same umbrella as more militant trades unionism.

Let us hope that some sense prevails amongst those with the ability do make change and before another call to strike is encouraged by any 'union' they consider just what is the best future outcome for the majority of their current and potential future membership. Not what their wish list is, but what is actually achievable.

I truly wish the moderate crew luck in the coming months. The atmosphere at work recently has been steadily improving. Most are jaded by the continued background rumble of the few militants. I hope the numerically few hotheads still spitting bile realise that most others are looking forward not clinging onto what has now gone. Much to the shame of BASSA it did not need to be this painful.

Let's hope the end is in sight.

Jazzy