PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 27th Nov 2010, 21:06
Dingbaticus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
‘They haven’t got the stomach for a fight.’

A fellow crew member was challenged by someone who sneered ‘What gives you the right to fight this?’

‘Being a woman gives me the right’ came her reply.

On paper a workforce comprising a high number of females and gay men looked unlikely to put up resistance. However, these social groups have had to fight for equality in the past and were not prepared to have their status downgraded by techniques such as In Touch Days that appeared designed to question their worth.

We also have a higher number of straight male stewards compared to other UK airlines. This is because the role of Cabin Crew at BA is seen as a career, requiring higher people skills than low cost carriers and pays well enough to support a family.

You may not agree with what we are fighting for but please don’t dismiss us as a ‘nutty minority’. All three of the above social groups felt threatened by the belief that our Union’s right to collectively negotiate was being destroyed and we were united in what we perceive to be our own ‘fight for survival’.

The postings made by Dingbaticus on this site are my own thoughts, feelings and beliefs and don’t necessarily represent my employers positions, strategies or opinions

Midman, I agree not all the suspensions will be petty but I believe there are some as petty as Andreas and they have not been fast tracked. I hope this might be a sign of things to come as it is stressful for both the victims and the suspendees.

There are many cases coming to court too, which will bring them into the public arena and we will be able to make our own conclusions about the severity of the accusations.

The CSD who was investigated did have the investigation dropped because the seat used was blocked, not available for sale and so no fraud occurred. Had it been available for sale it may have been a different story and this concerned the CSD community.

The Fraud Policy document was changed – a line was removed.

The postings made by Dingbaticus on this site are my own thoughts, feelings and beliefs and don’t necessarily represent my employers positions, strategies or opinions