PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Joe Eakins: Brave?....or....
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2010, 08:26
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Good Fight

Last time I noticed we still live in a democracy?! One of the wonderful things about a democracy is the freedom of speach, so Joe exercised his freedom of speach as the union rep for Jet* pilots. He was in an enviable position to speak his mind (and conscience) on behalf of all Jet* pilots and (may I say) on behalf of all Ozzie pilots!

Now the company is exercising its right to crucify him under what is no more than a 'gag' agreement, because all their worried about is their 'bottom line'! This clause is administered by nearly all reasonable sized Aviation companies but yet is contrary to what is our legal right in living in a democracy.

John Howard was recently quoted in ABC's Q&A program when David Hicks asked a question via recorded webcam that is a 'wonderful thing that we live in a democracy where this sort of thing can happen' (not quoted exactly but you get the point). So why is it being questioned in Joe's case that he has exercised his right to the freedom of speach?

I believe that this, along with the current senate inquiry, is a watershed moment in Australian Aviation. If you need any more convincing than Joe's fight then you only need read Mr Urquhart's submission Parliament of Australia: Senate: Committees: Rural Affairs and Transport Committee: Pilot training and airline safety including consideration of the Transport Safety Investigation Amendment (Incident Reports) Bill 2010: Submissions Received in the Senate Inquiry to see where Australian Aviation is heading!

I wish I could contribute to Joe's cause but I am fighting my own battles with another Aviation company that is a fair bit of a struggle financially! So Joe fight the good fight and I hope all pilots back you to the hilt!