PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot drops in for coffee
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2010, 05:05
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
A little background to the area and the attitude of Parks Victoria may put this into context.

Parks Victoria have always had a 'no helicopter within Parks' policy, except when it suits them for their own use of course! This has extended over the years to a number of "Fly Neighbourly" policies being put in place around tourism areas such as the 12 Apostles, to have a voluntary code of operations within certain areas. These Fly Neighbourly routes and restrictions are published in ERSA, but remain strictly voluntary with no legality for enforcement.

Therein lies the rub: Parks cannot understand that they do not own the airspace and will use every subterfuge available to have overflights 'controlled' by themselves. To land within their hallowed turf without an approval signed by the Queen Mum would be a hanging offence, and they will undoubtedly chase this one to the ultimate conclusion

I will admit to many a run in with the local Ranger down there, the most stupid was when he could not/would not accept that me flying low level 2 miles out to sea was not only outside his park boundary, but none of his business. A day later one of the 12 Apostles fell down, and in the local newspaper report he blamed my low flying for the collapse