PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 26th Nov 2010, 14:41
Juan Tugoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BASSA members, and indeed UNITE members of the CC community have a track record of lukewarm engagement in union activities. The turn out for the consultative ballot and indeed the general turn out for the strike prove this. I suspect that this will lead to a skewed result.

The ones that will respond to such a survey will be the ones that are engaged with this dispute and will be the ones that feel that they have been harassed and bullied by BA. This trend will be strengthened by the those sickened by BASSA/UNITEs conduct of this dispute having already left the union. The pool of those remaining is therefore more politicised and extreme than the union membership was this time last year.

If LM was really interested about B&H he would be asking an independent company to consult all CC regardless of union affiliation over suspected B&H at work. I doubt this will happen and that LM is looking around for a cause to garner public support.

Sadly, the union leadership seems to seek out the emotion laden side issues rather than deal with the real issues. I suspect that this will end the way all such things have ended up during this dispute. BA will ignore them and the union will end up looking silly for it. It might grab a few headlines but it is unlikely to achieve anything positive for the CC.

BA will point to their robust B&H policy and the mandatory training that BA employees are put through and state that if there is any B&H going on then it should be reported immediately and it will be dealt with in accordance with the B&H policy.