PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Joe Eakins: Brave?....or....
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2010, 22:09
A. Le Rhone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of for goodness sake Clockwork your being very precious....yes personal attacks are pointless on this forum and indicative of the state we have let ourselves get into but just have a look at what you are defending......

Years ago the profession of pilot was well-regarded, well-paid and relatively secure. Upwardly mobile managers with the assistance of the selfish amongst our own ranks have helped to decimate that to the point where it is simply not viable spending a fortune on learning to fly only to end up with a rag-tag outfit like at least 2 Australian airlines. Airlines that are so myopic that rather than actually address the problems they are creating they sack somebody who dares to highlight this situation.

On a global standard, in comparison to other airlines Qantas is fair to middling in terms of quality of life and compensation. I have a fair idea of this myself having seen a number first-hand. Virgin is described by most of the people I speak to there as 'adequate' but in hindsight not something they would have set their sights on as a kid learning to fly.

The folks who fly/flew for Jetstar almost to a man seem to hate it. Not just mildly dislike but hate. I'm sure not everybody feels that way but it seems to be the general feeling. The only difference between pilots there is some have the ability and courage to pack up bags and head overseas. And to a man they are SO happy to get out of there.

And for the life of me having seen the standards of pilots trained in less than professional jurisdictions I cannot understand the stupidity of managers who think it's a sensible business plan to set up 'flag of convenience' airlines in countries other than where they are based simply to screw with thing like pilot terms and conditions. Sure it looks good on paper but for gods sake look at the minefield of risks this is opening.

There are things in the aviation industry you shouldn't mess with. Maintenance is one (Qantas currently having 'karma' from it's messing with apprenticeships and screwing engineers?). The other is pilot standards. Not only 'if you pay peanuts you get monkeys' but you potentially kill people.

Who will be held accountable for killing people?

Joe Eakins had the guts to raise this point and got the sack for it and people amongst us (like Clockwork Doll who may or may not be a 'management stooge' but sure sounds like it) are sufficiently myopic/brainwashed or paid to come on here - that they actually defend such a situation.

Something is rotten in this industry. Joe got sacked for highlighting it and we do very little to counter this situation - at our own peril. I may sound melodramatic but this is happening right before our eyes.

Keep the pressure on now people (like getting Joes' article back in today's Fairfax press) before an aircraft flown by over-worked, underpaid and particularly undertrained pilots full of Australian passengers flies into a hill.

All to save a few dollars and increase some 'Master of the Universe' CEO's bonus.