PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brussels Airlines - 6 incidents in 3 weeks (RJ1H flaps)
Old 25th Nov 2010, 10:31
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think some here are jumping to conclusions over these reports. Although I agree that the statement "Flaps did not extend" might infer a flapless condition it can equally mean "...did not extend fully" which is an entirely different thing. Yet most of the reports in the first post merely reported "flap problems" so nothing at all is stating flapless. And let's not get too het-up over brakes that are designed to get hot getting hot either, isn't that what they're supposed to do.

I have a vague recollection (some might argue it's my normal state) of grease being implicated on the assymetry lockouts that occur so readily on the 146. Excessive grease or using the "wrong" kind formed up with ice to cause a restriction, and the assymetry protection is so over-sensitive it only has to be a little one, in the freedom of movement and Pop! Lockout. Changing to a differrent type of grease and/or being more sparing with it sorted the problem.
This is the time of year when the first real icing is experienced at flap extension levels and if the engineers have got in the habit of slapping the stuff on over the summer what do you suppose happens next? The engineering solution really might be as simple as an oily rag.

Whether or not that is correct in this particular instance something that simple can cause a spate of incidents resulting in press attention, wild speculation here and handbags at dawn...

It really is no big deal. Jeez, I fear some modern aviators are so insulated from reality by modern systems that they're in danger of becoming far too precious over non-events like non-standard flap settings or unfamiliar looking temps on the BTIs. Guys, there is a huge range of grey shades in between black and white, I know it isn't the modern way to recognise this, but they're still there, whether or not it is trendy to admit it.

The assymetry system is there to prevent hazardous conditions and it works very well indeed. The aircraft and their contents are being kept safe and pilots are merely using alternative procedures to do so. What's the beef?
Whatever happened to Airmanship and judgement?