PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 24th Nov 2010, 23:16
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to their website
Santas Crew is an independant fund raising organisation set up by British Airways Cabin Crew for the benefit of selected former British Airways Cabin Crew or current suspended British Airways Cabin crew who took part in Industrial Action during 2010.
So no, it is not a registered charity. The organisation does not publish names of any committee members. There is that rather dodgy phrase 'or the benefit of selected former British Airways Cabin Crew or current suspended British Airways Cabin crew...' (my bold) so anyone donating would not know which staff members or ex staff members were due to benefit from their generosity. It could be that the whole lot was going to be divvied up between three or four people. You just don't know.

Moreover, the statement that it was 'set up by British Airways Cabin Crew' is at best misleading. It has absolutely nothing to do with British Airways - a point that they mak a little further on. What it should say is that it has been set up by a number of BA cabin crew staff to raise cash for colleagues who have been suspended or sacked this year.

The other point that is slightly worrying is the fact that there is no indication of how much of any donations will end up in th ehands of the recipients. OK so maybe I have a nasty suspicious mind, but I have seen scams in the past where people have willing coughed up cash to fund raisers only to find that the fund raiser then skims off 25% for 'admin' costs and that the amount that eventually winds up with the intended recipients is pitifully small. There isno indication of accounts, audits, accountability or governance. Even a school fundraiser will provide details of what was raised and what expenses were incurred.

I'm also ambivalent about the whole deal.Yes, it is a pity when kids get a lousy Xmas because their parents are out of work or on severely reduced means. That's where there are a host of charities around to provide support. I think the point I most object to is the emototianl blackmail by saying ' oh the kids will have a lousy Xmas because nasty BA sacked mummy or daddy or has suspended them, so lets all club together so the kiddies have something'. That is patently not what this organisation is about. It is all about raising cash for those who were sacked or suspended. I don't know if they have kids. If they do I have no idea whether the kids are 8 or 18. For all I know the money could be going to someone who got sacked, is still pulling some cash from a job on the side and has no dependant kids.

I also think that anyone who acted in a manner that resulted in them getting sacked maybe should have considered the possible consequences on their family before they acted in the way that they did. There are time when, although it may seem odious, it is better to knuckle under and grit one's teeth. It's the old proverb about the reed and the oak tree and a high wind. It is better to bend with the wind at times.

It may be interesting to see how far BASSA and Unite are prepared to push this. I doubt that they will make it grounds for strike action unless BA dismiss the lady in question. I can't quite see BA doing that. I reckon she'll get a reprimand.