PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trident autothrust system and autoland
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 22:38
Prober

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memory tricks

Indeed, one does forget! Yes, of course the A/T was used for most approaches as well as A/Land - not as I said earlier. Yes, there was a switch somewhere in the ceiling for engaging No2, but this was, to my knowledge, never used. And reverse was selected at the flair for all landings so far as I recall, with the final few seconds spent floating on a cushion of air. The main gear as an airbrake switch actually disconnected the nose wheel deployment and the incident mentioned suffered a "nose wheel fails to lower" when it came to the actual landing. The switch was then disconnected! I remember more difficulty at Gib on the Vanguard rather than the Trident, with the fire service knocking on the window at the end of one white knuckle arrival! The worst of that airfield was the (RAF) controllers telling you that you had just violated the other side's airspace, rather than telling you that you were about to and you could then have done something about it. Hey Ho! As to EDI, T1 and T2 ops were usually uneventful (on 13/31). The arrival of the T3 caused tire bursts on a regular basis, and the previously mentioned method of touchdown (nose forward), was developed by some intrepid pilots and it worked very well, but trg establishment would rap our knuckles. It was a delight to fly and I enjoyed most of my 7,000 odd hours both as P1 and P2/3.
Prober