PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 18:45
Bengerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dingbaticus, you said....

We were not fighting for more, we offered cuts yet the Company sought to impose, you may believe it was because our Union was squabbling and being difficult but my view was that it was an attack on my Union's right to collectively bargain on my behalf. We were balloted on that imposition and I went on strike over that imposition. Don't expect me to be happy at your actions - I would never like to see a return to 70's style striking but if I can't withold my labour I may as well be a slave.

Like the female Ford employees in 1968, I am fighting for my job to be recognised as skilled. You can lower the wages but I believe you will find it hard to keep the skills required that I percieve to be a vital componant in our identity.
Just a few points there that I would like to take issue with!

The cuts offered by BASSA were insufficient to achieve the requirement from IFCE, they were also only offered as a loan! Every other workgroup in the airline saw the need for savings and contributed, YOU DID NOT!

Imposition came about after countless attempts by BA to negotiate a settlement with unions who refused to sit in the same room! With unions who were offered the opportunity to inspect the company's confidential financial data, but refused! Imposition came after the baying hordes at Kempton racecourse were seen on national tv screaming NO NEGOTIATION!!

At no time have BA tried to lower your wages or tried to end some of the ridiculous practices in use. The management of the airline (no particular friends of mine, I may add) have remained mostly controlled and reasonable throughout this sorry episode, contrast with the rantings and ramblings emanating from BASSA HQ.

BA have never tried to personalise the dispute, despite immense provocation from those supposedly leading the shambles of a union that you appear to belong to, a union that put in front of a high court judge a steward complaining about the newly increased workload that was being suffered, despite the fact that he had never worked with the reduced crew compliment!

Finally, communications from your leaders appear to go to great lengths to explain the ramifications of accepting the company's latest offer. They are somewhat quieter about the ramifications if it is not accepted!