PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 17:37
Dingbaticus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well documented snooping?

The Blu Riband, I assume you are referring to our refusal to break what at the time was Corporate procedure, punishable by instant dismissal and possible police prosecution?

Correct, the Captain is Commander but they do not have the authority to order me to break the law or face police prosecution! Now the rules have been changed(funny that), I comply. If it don't get me sacked not a problem!

If you saw my postings I hope you enjoyed them. I hold my hands up to making some pretty vicious ones too.

Why? I was angry at alleged spying on our private crew forums which allegedly had led to a couple of crew sacked over what was meant to be humour in a private environmemt.

I decided to give the snoops something to read, don't come trolling and expect to be greeted with hearts and flowers!

I actually have the greatest respect for pilots, I couldn't do your job and I trust you with my life!

BA pilots are a highly trained skilled work force. If you actually read all my posts you will see I have defended your terms and conditions in matters like use of jumpseats.

What has angered me is whilst I am expected to respect your terms and conditions I feel you have stomped all over mine!

It's true that you could train a monkey to open and shut doors and serve food. However, whilst I am not a pilot, I do know people, what makes them tick, what pushes their buttons, what makes them happy which is a skill too.

Customers may load their suitcases in the hold but they bring all their emotional baggage into the cabin. Our competitors may have better seats, IFE and food butI believe it is the Cabin Crew who keep customers coming back to BA.

Recognising a businessman is grumpy not because he did not get his meal choice but because he his business deal went wrong, offering TLC and a listening ear, quelling rowdy gamblers off to Las Vegas, offering compassion to someone travelling to a funeral - these are some of the skills that are what I believe make our brand different to the low cost carriers.

We were not fighting for more, we offered cuts yet the Company sought to impose, you may believe it was because our Union was squabbling and being difficult but my view was that it was an attack on my Union's right to collectively bargain on my behalf. We were balloted on that imposition and I went on strike over that imposition. Don't expect me to be happy at your actions - I would never like to see a return to 70's style striking but if I can't withold my labour I may as well be a slave.

Like the female Ford employees in 1968, I am fighting for my job to be recognised as skilled. You can lower the wages but I believe you will find it hard to keep the skills required that I percieve to be a vital componant in our identity.

The postings made by Dingbaticus on this site are my own thoughts, feelings and beliefs and don’t necessarily represent my employers positions, strategies or opinions

Last edited by Dingbaticus; 23rd Nov 2010 at 17:42. Reason: add disclaimer