PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really Want to Do This...??
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 11:15
Flyit Pointit Sortit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the reality that has been described by experienced pilots in previous posts. I have been on jets (B737 and A319)for 10 years now, the last four in the LHS. The sim rides only get harder as there is a greater expectation to perform to a higher level each time. Every time your life/house/income is riding on the outcome. You then have crewing dictating your life, missing out on all those once in a lifetime events that you only realise were important when it is too late. The thrill of seeing the sunrise through bleary eyelids at o'dark o'clock soon dissipates.

However, did I listen to those who warned me about the perils of the profession beforehand.....No!! Would I still go into the profession knowing what I do now....Absolutely!!! I would not want to do anything else. Every job becomes mundane and the reason why pilots complain is because the reality does not come close to the preconceptions that they had of the job.

Word of warning though, Would I be willing to put my parent's house at risk by doing a CTC type scheme using a secured loan when there are very few permanent jobs that would enable you to service the debt... NO NO NO!!!!!!