PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Joe Eakins: Brave?....or....
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 07:32
Crew rest.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GA Driver, you have asked a very, very worthy question:

what are people meant to do in the interim, sit back and wait for something to change whilst the people who DO earn great incomes on great T+C skim all the cream and do nothing themselves?
Organise yourselves is the only thing that I think would help solve the problem our industry faces. I have been a member of a union since I entered the work force. I have been variously a member of a union since I left school and entered the work force. If you aren't in a union, you have rocks in you head.

I take your point, it is very difficult to negotiate when you are new to the industry and perhaps do not have negotiating skills. It is a skill to ask for more than on offer and not talk your way out of a job. You cannot bang the table with your fist or demand. What you need to say is that "the current discussion is interim until the contract is on offer to be signed. It would be preferable/appropriate/desirable/etc that the contract should include X,Y and Z". The best way to negotiate is collectively.

My application to Jetstar was 4 years ago. Add another type rating and 2,000 hrs to my initial application, I still have net heard from them. At the risk of being labeled smug, I think that my application and their lack of response is proof that Jetstar is not interested in employing highly experienced people, only those who will pay their way and support their immediate bottom line(any Journos reading this??).

What has happened to Joe is a disgrace. How can we support this guy and his family? Is there a fund? I would like to contribute $500.

What is AIPA doing? Is a strike being proposed? I know what the TWU would do if this happened to a Truckie.