PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Joe Eakins: Brave?....or....
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 03:05
Crew rest.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you missed my point, Ken. If a company wants me to fly their aircraft, they can train me. I don't subsidise their operation. I am a potential employee, not a charity or an investor. My current company paid for my Boeing type rating-it happens.*

I have a life and family in one city-if they want me to move some where for an operational reason, they can pay for me to relocate. I don't see that this is too much to ask; quite reasonable in other industries.

A mate who is a chemical engineer applied for another job. He got:
  • Business class air travel to and from the interview.
  • Hotel accomodation at the Hyatt while he played pyschometric games with the other candidates.
  • Meal allowance during 2 days of interviews.
  • Full relocation costs.
  • 3 months in serviced appartment in new city.
  • Company paid stamp duty on new home purchase.

Asking for a better deal is hardly seeing myself as "God's Gift". Have a little self-respect and negotiate. I agree with what many others have said-if you say "Yes" to a contract then you wear it. Only don't complain later when you get moved from MEL to DWN and they tell you that you pick up the tab.

My current employers condition have full pay from day one. That is a good start to a relationship with any employer.
* As Wynsock and I have found, they are out there. At my current employer, I said at interview that it was appropriate that they pay for my rating and more money then was offered. When contract details were sent, guess what??

And they have a happy, loyal employee- winners all round.